Question: What is the absolute coolest thing you ever brought in for show and tell? I know my answer. My own personal copy of the Lawrence Welk cast book. Filled with color photos and factoids about each and every talented member of that hip and happening son of German immigrants' television program. Yup, that is right. I am just cool like that. It may have been a sign that I was spending entirely too much time with my grandparents.
What does that little vignette illustrating my utter hipness have to do with tonight?
Oaks Park Roller Rink, take two. What a wonderful treat. Sunday evening live organ music session. It did not disappoint. And I knew almost all the songs. (Thank you, Mr. Welk!) Working the organ in a spectacular fashion was an older gentleman with a caffeine buzz going. Dancing along to the rolling organ, an octogenarian "cutting a rug", as all us young whipper snappers call "dancing" these days. Kicking my butt and making me pray to the powers that be that I am that cool enough to pull this off when I reach their age- the set of at least 5 older ladies wearing short, short skating skirts, with skating tights and dancing skates, showing off their legs and killing it on the rink. As Bob Hope would say (And yes, they played this song tonight. And yes, I watched him with my grandparents, too. But no, I did not have any books dedicated to his television specials.), Thank you, Mr. Organ Player, Mr. Sideline Dancer, and Inspiring Skating Women who are older than me, for the memories.
Monday, July 25, 2011
Organ in Oregon (Thanks For The Memories)
Posted by
Barbers4
at
12:23 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
lawrence welk cast book!!! i love it!
see you soon. :)
Post a Comment