Freakiness, wackiness and general oddities. Hunting these down in places we visit is a passion of mine. The stranger, the more unique, the quirkier, the better. (I like these qualities in humans as well.) Today we started the search and I think, we found a few, though, a number of winners still await my visit on my to-do list. Waiting for just the right moment to be discovered. (Wait and see, they should be worth it!) First on our list, trekking to North Portland to see the Paul Bunyan Statue. The kids asked "Who is Paul Bunyan?" and I felt shame for me and the educational system that failed them. Next they'll be asking "Who is Johnny Appleseed?".
Next on my list for the day, hunt down the mystical soda fountains I have read still exist in this town. We found Fairley's. A compounding pharmacy next door to a Barber shop which was next door to a Beauty shop, for when the wife and husband both need their hair did at the same time on a block where time stood still. Perpetually stuck in 1962. The boys were very excited to order from the giant menu and have the soda jerk make their Purple Cow (William) and Strawberry Swirl sundae (Romney).
Nothing goes down better after a giant sugary treat than another sugary treat, right? This lead us to view the chocolate waterfall at the Candy Basket factory. They used to give factory tours, but stopped a year ago. Boo! This did not stop the boys from sampling from the case a couple of chocolates. (We aren't completely heartless, and brought Bill home a chocolate treat.)
With all three boys now enjoying a sugar rush, we took that energy back to Hawthorne to show Bill around and to catch a flick at the Bagdad theater. Earlier in the day, the boys and I had wandered around the Kennedy School (owned by the same people) on a tip that it was outrageous. They turned an old elementary school into a hotel and restaurant and theater where you can watch movies sitting on sofas in the old gym. That theater wasn't showing anything good for kiddos, so the Bagdad it was where the kids laughed their way through Hoodwinked 2. (Was there a Hoodwinked 1? My kids say they saw it, but I have no recollection of ever hearing of it.)
Finally, tonight we had our first visit to the Food Carts. It was accidental. We had wanted another cafe that closed mid afternoon, and were stuck. I convinced Bill they must be reasonably clean, and I had the most delicious mini-samosa dumplings on a bed of cabbage salad, while Bill braved the mexican food cart. Having visited each of the 5 separate sections of this city today, we are all worn out, coming off sugar highs.
Wednesday, July 13, 2011
Paul Bunyan and Purple Cows
Posted by
Barbers4
at
10:42 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment