CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Spa..ahhhhhhhh Portland

The RV has been returned! We've had a wonderful vacation and lots and lots of adventures and learned a lot about each other while enjoying one another up close and personal. Fantastic family memories were made, goal achieved. Nothing can make you appreciate a nice hotel quite like 10 days in an RV. We have been using the shower facilities at whatever place we "parked/camped" at for the night. Rushed showers using tokens in 3 minute increments just isn't the same as a soaking tub with a dimmer and grapefruit shower gel, a clean towel and a fluffy robe when you are done. (Plus, let's not forget the absence of the necessity to wear shower shoes.) A king size bed! A big deal, when you have spent 10 days sharing a full sized bed (even with someone you love very, very much!) Yup, I could get used to this. I don't even want to go home. I just want to stay in this hotel for a while.



Since we were back in Portland, with an afternoon to spare, what better way to indulge than a stop at the Voodoo Donuts second location. Especially since we had to have some quick service done on the Subaru in the very same neighborhood-- how handy. Our very lovely Subaru service lady got our car in and out in 30 minutes, directed us to a very hip, retro restaurant (Doug Fir) around the corner. I like to think she was so wonderful to us since I offered her a bribe of the extra cheese from the RV that would go bad if not stored in a fridge. I mean, other than me, who can turn down an offer of Tillamook cheese? William decided he wanted the bacon/maple bar donut. I think it looks so gross. But he assured me it was wonderful. I guess for William (and Bill) bacon really does make EVERYTHING better.

We checked into our lovely hotel and took off for an afternoon walk along the waterfront. We all rejoiced to find a plethora of blackberries growing along the path. We ate as many as we wanted straight from the bush. They were juicy and sweet (as sweet as syrup, which is fantastic for this chic with a wicked sweet tooth!) Portland, with it's vegan friendly choices at almost every restaurant (did I mention that I had Vegan donuts at Voodoo--much healthier, right?) , the focus on recycling, reusing, reducing, and grungy/thrifty style is very appealing. It wouldn't be a trip for us if we didn't start asking ourselves, "Do we like this place enough that we would want to live here?"
If only the sun we have been enjoying stayed around more often, this would be our perfect city.

0 comments: