CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Monasterboice


Our first full day in Ireland was spent touring the Boyne Valley.
Our first stop were the ruins of an ancient monastery built in the 14th Century, called Monasterboice. It was an interesting mix of a more modern graveyard and the ruins of that ancient monastery.
The main draw to the ruins are the remains of the tower which they believe was the treasury for the monastery. It was leaning quite a bit and may not last much longer.
The number of religious sites and ruins are astounding. It seems like every block has a different cathedral or ruin or other such link to religion. I forget how powerful the religions were and how closely tied to history and goverments of the world.

3 comments:

kevin and emily said...

Yay! I just checked your blog and am so happy to see these 3 postings. Thinking of you, Emily

princess jen said...

What beautiful photos! I'm glad you arrived safely and that you are having a great time seeing all the amazing architecture, etc. Can't wait to see more photos!

Barbers4 said...

Thanks Emily! Hope it went ok with coaching! We can't send out emails, but I did get yours about the rain. I hope you got it figured out ok:)