
My favorite holiday of the year has come and gone. The night where ghosts and goblins come to claim their bounty of free candy and it is socially acceptable, rather than reason to commit you, to pretend you are some one from a different time and place, and possibly, planet. Ahhhh... the joy that is Halloween. 
Halloween would not be complete for my children without the annual decorating of the house. Even our friends' children asked us this year when we were going to decorate. (We were a bit slow about it this year!) Not one to disappoint (I voted to skip it this year), Bill braved our spooky basement and the very nasty cold and windy weather to put them all up while his helpers, one by one, ran back into the safety and warmth of the living room and watched him out the window. 
When your father is a super hero who puts up Halloween decorations in the cold by himself to make his family happy, what other choice do you have as a son than to be a super hero yourself. That is just what William and Romney wanted to do this year. Both of them had very specific costumes in mind and luckily we found them at a store so I didn't have to figure out how to make them. Wolverine and Captain America were on guard this Halloween in case anyone tried to take too much of the Halloween candy we bravely left on the porch. That is what you have to do when both parents enjoy taking the kids trick-or-treating too much to be the sucker left at home handing out the goods. 
Halloween night started the usual way with a quick bite to eat and the carving of a jack-o-lantern. This year we waited a bit long to buy our pumpkin (slacker parenting again!) and ended up with just one instead of 4. The kids both were able to pick out pumpkins and decorate them on a field trip this year, so don't feel too sorry for them. The kids drew out their design and Bill dutiful cut it as true to design as (Super) humanly possible.

After the pumpkin was carved we headed out to a party with some friends. I figured it was a Halloween party and that many people would be in costume. I figured SO VERY, VERY WRONG! I was the only adult in costume. Luckily it was a lame, last minute witch costume. Once I took off the hat and dumped my broom, it just looked like I had a Johnny Cash fetish (my all- black clothes) and didn't know when to stop using my eyeliner. We all had a nice time trick or treating for a minute and then hit the annual Trunk or Treat in the Avenues. Apparently, we were the only ones as there was no one was there (Most notably missing: the trunks full of treats). The kids were very disappointed, but quickly recovered when we said we would do more trick or treating with their friends. 2 gallon size ziplock baggies jam-packed with candy later, we declared the Halloween officially a success and officially over.
Only 364 more days to go. . .
Sunday, November 2, 2008
House of Horrors
Posted by
Barbers4
at
8:04 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Those are some great costumes! And you have lame friends if no one else but you dressed up! You make an uber cute witch. And I say, be grateful for your 1 pumpkin to carve (I did our three!!)
Please let my nephews know that their Aunt (and no doubt their Uncle Scott) hugely approve of costume choice this year! "Hey bub! I'm not finished with you yet!"
Oh, and ask Romney if I can borrow his costume next year.
Thanks Jen! I had a Legally Blonde moment there- thank goodness I didn't choose to go as a Playboy Bunny.
Lisa-- I neglected to mention in the blog that Romney's mask bit the dust at the party when their new dog chewed it to shreds. But other than that, it would probably fit you!
Post a Comment