CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Japanese Wedding

The moment we came for... David and Nana's wedding. They were married in the Tokyo temple Friday morning. My mom, and David left very early that morning to get to the temple on time (still not sure if that actually happened.) That left Kurtis, Lisa and I to take Lynn. (Kurtis is David's best friend from high school and Lynn is my mom's severely ADHD husband.) That made for an interesting journey. Lynn had been to the temple the day before, but asked if we were there yet at the Shinjuku train station. He asked again after we transferred from the JR train line to the subway station and again as we excited the subway station. Of course, he would ask and then not wait for an answer before moving on to saying something random. He would spin around as he took in where we were. (Later in the trip, David decided Lynn was Jar-Jar Binks from Star Wars-- the most annoying movie character ever created. The fitting quote from the movie is Jar-Jar: "Mes a speaks" Qui-gon Gin: "The ability to speak does not make you intelligent. Now get out of here." Which is exactly what we wished would happen to Lynn after several days of close quarters!) We stopped for lunch about a block from the temple and after spotting the Moroni on the top of the temple, Lynn was so excited *he* had found it, he took off like a bullet and ran inside (Where David had requested he not go!)

After waiting for several minutes in the waiting room, a vision appeared in the form of my brother, the missionary. Scott, uh, I mean Elder Romney, appeared with his companion. It was so strange to see him with a tag on and no Wolverine chops. I was excited to see him, but didn't think I would be as emotional as I was. I think missing my own family so much and realizing how much I missed Scott when I saw him combined into the formation of actual tears. Lisa teared up as well, something neither one of us do in normal, public situations. I think also not really having had any time to get used to the idea of my "inactive" brother suddenly serving a mission added to my confused feelings. I am still not sure what happened that put him in Japan on a mission. (Although, I think a certain girl he loves may have influenced the decision.)

We took a few photos of family and friends outside. This was a bit awkward. Nana had asked David to ask me if I would photograph the wedding. David didn't pass that info along to me until I was in Japan. I only brought our crappy little point and shoot camera because I already had more weight to pack around everyday than I could handle. I was glad I was not the one who had to break the news to Nana that David had forgotten (poor David!) I did the best I could, as did a dozen or so other people with crappy point and shoots. The outside photos were fine, it wasn't until we went inside that it was obvious the point and shoot just wouldn't do the trick. The inside photos were of everyone in attendance. Nana's family made it from Toyame as well as David's friends from his mission the Menzawas and the Uchitas. There was even more family drama when we reminded my mom of David's request that Lynn not be at the temple and she decided to ignore it. (Did I mention she did the same thing to me on my wedding day with her previous husband. She said it was "easier" that way.)

After taking pictures everyone headed around the corner to an Indian restaurant that Nana had booked for a wedding luncheon. The food was great. We all introduced ourselves and there were more embarrasing public displays of emotion. The whole day was overwhelming. The family drama came to a head and the Uchitas graciously offered to take Lynn to their country home to hang out with non-English speaking Mr. Uchita, so it was perfect, so that David could enjoy his two receptions without that added stress. We said goodbye to Scott and headed back to the Shinjuku to pick up our luggage we had stored in lockers there and the rental car. Lisa had agreed to drive to Toyame (on the opposite coast, just slightly north and far west of Tokyo). David said it was an 8 hour car ride, Nana said six, with Lisa at the wheel it was more like 4-5 hours. Thank goodness, for we were packed in like sardines with luggage and six people in a station wagon sized vehicle. We made it out of Shinjuku (one of the busiest downtown areas in Tokyo) with only one near death experience behind us. (Remember they drive on the left hand side of the road, so the first turn out into traffic went a bit awry, but was quickly remedied.)

We arrived at the hotel in Toyame in one piece, and exhausted both physically and emotionally and Lisa and I crashed hard on our western-style hotel beds, glad to have that particular day in our rear-view mirror.

2 comments:

Alan J. said...

Holy blog posts batman! i wish i could post my trip reports that quickly. Geesh. i'm gonna just send you all my pictures and you do the posts for me, kay? And it's not just you, even Bill was cleaning my clock with blog posts while you were gone. Oh, and i'm going to have rethink our friendship. A wedding in Tokyo and you didn't recommend me as the photographer?! ;-)

Barbers4 said...

I have the worst memory ever, Alan. If I don't write it down, I won't have any recollection of any of the events. The blog posts and photos are usually the best souvenir I have of my trips, so they are usually more for me than anyone else. (However, you are welcome to enjoy the craziness that was my Tokyo trip as well. ;)