CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Camping, Soaking and Fishing

On Friday, the boys and I headed to Maple Grove Hot Springs in the Bear River valley in Idaho. We saw this place online and thought it looked amazing and that it would offer a bit more than the standard state park campgrounds. It was a good time because while the campground was small, it had 4 natural hot springs tubs/pools that we could soak in. This was especially nice when we were filling a bit chilly. It rained the drive up but stopped right before we got to the campsite. The rain held off until that night when we were already in the tent. Thank goodness William was with us (our lucky charm).
We soaked that night and again in the morning with several showers in between. My type of camping, clean.

The highlight of the night was our neighboring campers. Around midnight the couple began arguing at an unreasonable volume. When we first setup camp, we noticed that the site had a styrofoam cooler and that a crow was trying to peck into. We chased it away several times but while we were away, it managed to get in and eat Kevin's sandwich. The discussion that night was this: "Kevin, why did you destroy the cooler?" Retort: "I didn't Mom." Kevin was either inebriated or mentally challenged or both. The boys figured on both. Kevin: "It must have been a wild animal that got into it." Mom: "Why didn't you tell me there were wild animals here? I would have stored the cooler in the car!" Kevin: "I shouldn't have to tell you that there are wild animals in the woods!" Mom: "Well, did he get my steak?" Kevin: "No, but he got half of my six dollar sandwich! I'm going to eat the other three dollars now before it comes back." Mom: "Kevin hold your voice down, others are trying to sleep! (She screams at the approximate volume of a jet engine)"
Of course at midnight this was not a pleasant thing to hear. In the morning, however, it became quite funny to us. We later found out that Kevin is actually not a teenager (like we thought that night) but a 70+ year old man. And "Mom", must have been his wife. Ah, the joys of camping.

Breakfast in the morning was tricky. There were no wild animals around our food but there was also no level place to put the provided picnic table. The eggs ran all over and the sausage wouldn't lay still. On top of that, I had grabbed the oatmeal cookie mix instead of the pancake mix (very similar packaging). So, the boys had runaway eggs, burnt on one side sausage, and giant cookies for breakfast. I was a bit flustered but served it anyway. Romney, sitting by the fire enjoying his odd breakfast stated, "Ahhh, this is the life." (Next time he can cook). I'm glad that the boys enjoyed it though.

In the morning we went fishing in the Bear river. It started to rain in short time in so we called it a day and headed home.
At home we watched the USA vs England match and were jumping on the couch when the US managed to tie it up. Go Yanks! I love that cocky England failed to win "the sure-thing". The US really played well and defended impeccably. What a great start to the World Cup!

2 comments:

Alan J. said...

That sounds like a blast, i totally want to go there now!

princess jen said...

I want some of those big cookies!! ;)