CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Get A Life!

Ahhh... the dreaded first day of school (or the happily anticipated, depending on who in the family you ask.) Today it has come. I woke up early and made pancakes with Bill while the boys got themselves ready to take on the world. William is tackling 5th grade this year as well as a brand new school--middle school--complete with lockers, 6 periods and hopefully devoid of all the social awfulness that is junior high. He was feeling very nervous before yesterday's orientation/dry-run day. Once he had a chance to practice changing classes and finding his way around a new building he was feeling much more secure and ready for the challenge. His Super-Mama came to his rescue, when she discovered he had been reassigned (due to over scheduling of classes) out of his "elective" class-band to physical theater. I spoke to the physical theater teacher (who is lovely) to find out what the class would entail. As soon as William heard her say the dreaded word "dancing", he groaned an audible groan. That poor boy has been worried about having to take a "dance" class at his new "arts" school since he decided he wanted to apply back in February. I didn't want his first period of every day to start off in such a negative way for him, so I spoke to the very accommodating principle who changed him back to his original schedule. No dance class (yet) for him. (Addendum: William came home from school and told me he had been given "dance" as his "arts period class". We knew he had a one in four shot of that happening for that hour. Seems the Universe is determined to see him shakin' his groove thang.) He said he has his "dream" schedule. Hopefully, today will be a wonderful experience for him. He has risen to all the new responsibilities we have allowed him this summer and I am feeling like he is ready for more. I think he feels the same.

To be done with co-oping for him feels strange. I am feeling more disconnected to his educational experience than I ever have. I remember at an open house for his school, a parent (from the same elementary school William came from) asked what the parents can do if they aren't in the classroom every week and the principal answered "Get a life!" (only half jokingly) I guess it is time for me to do that.

Romney also had a big transition day, entering first grade. A whole day at school, 5 days a week is a big change from the 4 half-days he had in Kindergarten. He was most nervous about eating lunch at school, but it was one of his favorite parts from his first day. Romney isn't as keen to change as William is. William seems to love the whole going off to school more than Romney. Romney would be happy to stay home learning with me all day. His teacher is marvelous and assured me that this year we would "tap into what makes learning fun for Romney". With a teacher like that, how can he go wrong?

And how was my first day with the kids in school? Odd, but good. I had 3 hours of walking time, which was helpful in burning off the nervousness I felt for my boys' eventful day. I am looking forward to some free time, although I have no plan as of yet to what I am going to do with all of it. I guess I will find "a (new chapter to my already happy) life". . .

2 comments:

Lisa Romney said...

You should have called me for lunch!

princess jen said...

I'm so happy that William is loving his new school and his new schedule. I know he was a little concerned about that. I hope that Romney has a wonderful first grade year. I am incredibly grateful that Anya is absolutely loving school this year.