CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Looking through the Zion Curtain


In an attempt to entertain myself (I mean "the kids") this summer, we are having mini-adventures. Today's adventure took us to Utah County (we made it through the "Zion Curtain" at the point of the mountain). We first hit the Springville Art Museum. I had been there as a kid, maybe in college once. It is an anomaly in the middle of this tiny-hick town. It was fabulous. It is in an old building that is just as cool as the art inside. We saw an exhibit by Wayne Theibaud, who was previously unknown to me. After seeing some of his pieces, I am now a fan.



Nothing says culture like a room full of dead animals right? Does this photo creep anyone else out? I actually decided to go to the Monte L. Bean museum of Life Science ("Life", but everything is dead in there:) after I saw some photos taken there at an Art Stroll. The photographer had made the animals appear even FREAKIER than they are in real life, all stuffed and perfectly still. I wanted to try some similar things to see if I could use that technique in other ways. The boys loved it. They thought it was bizarre instead of repugnant, and "bizarre" is cool in boy world.



To top off our visit to random Utah Valley destinations, we stopped at Porter's Place in Lehi for milkshakes. The kids loved stepping into the "old west" and couldn't wait to plant their little bums in the bar stools made from tractor seats. Romney exclaimed with joy when he saw his shake "It's as big as my head!"

And with that I was entertained!

3 comments:

Alan J said...

I want a shake as big as my head!

princess jen said...

The zion curtain....you crack me up!!

Anonymous said...

I don't remember Utah Valley being this much fun. I only remember Trafalga. In fact, I was telling Edwards how good Tara was a SkeeBall just the other day...