CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, September 3, 2007

Long Weekend Shenanigans


Happy Labor Day. This post marks the end of the first week of school for William and Romney's first day. It also marks the beginning of the grind that is the school year. Romney will have his first full day of preschool (full=3 1/2 hours) tomorrow, and I also co-op for William's class tomorrow. We are also in charge of snack for William's class tomorrow. Cub Scouts will start again full time on Wednesday (after the slacker Wolf Leaders--that's us---took a month off to recover from Cub Camp!) That means I should really get to planning something to do and buying what we need to do it. Thursday is soccer practice for both kids, and Friday is Piano lessons, Saturday is Soccer games (plural this year) and Sunday is our day off (I mean, of rest). This is pretty much what every week will look like for our family if you add in co-oping for Romney every other week and my class I start in the middle of the month and Bill going back for his Master's in October. Phew, I am exhausted already just writing about it.

Today is our last long holiday weekend until November (which seems like a million years away!) and we needed it to get charged up for the months to come. We decided to hike up to Donut Falls in Big Cottonwood Canyon. It is a relatively easy 3/4 mile each way hike up to a waterfall that flows through a donut shaped rock. It was a very popular family destination and was crowded, but we still had a great time. Romney hiked both up and down on his own and was so proud of his rock climbing abilities. William said it was the "greatest hike of my life". If you haven't done that hike yet, it was a fun, easy way to spend the afternoon.

I guess this is the end of summer. But I don't mind! I love the fall. The leaves change to beautiful, photogenic colors and the weather goes from 'insanely hot' to 'just about perfect' for a few weeks anyway! It also means birthdays for our boys, and everyone know how I feel about those. William (still in 'Harry Potter' mode) wants a Potter birthday, and Romney (still in his 'William is the coolest human on the planet' mode) wants what William wants. I guess I better get some Harry Potter Cliff Notes (Do they make those? They really should for parents who don't wish to spend the hours reading the 700+ pages of the 7 books!) so I can plan some parties.

3 comments:

princess jen said...

I can see if I can come up with any great Harry Potter party ideas for you!
Glad you had fun at Donut Falls. We spent the day putting up drywall. But the closet is getting closer to being finished. By the way, I'm glad you like your laundry cart.

Alan J said...

I'm jealous. i want to go hiking! i love the fall, too. But i sure wish we got more than two weeks of nice weather. Frankly, it's still pretty hot outside, and when the weather does finally get nice, of course it will be rainy! Oi! What class are you taking? Oh, and i didn't realize that Bill was for sure going in for his Masters. Has he already taken the test? Which one did he take?

Barbers4 said...

Alan, after reading your comment, I wanted to break into Monty Python song! (you know, "always look on the bright side of life (insert whistle here!)) My class is at the U on the Holga-- should be way fun. Buy one and join me (they are super CHEAP, Jen!) and Bill is going back to Westminster for his MBA with a Technology emphasis (there is a special name for it , but I never remember it, I am sure I will by the end of it!) You should call your buddy and chat with him about it. He knows all the details. I am just the $ chick (ie: can we afford it?)