CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, December 28, 2009

Welcome to the Hotel (in) California

We found it. It does exist! Sunshine. SWEET, sweet Sunshine! We did have to drive through hell to get to it, but like most everything, after the hell comes the reward. The drive to it was not pretty and not fun. -4 degrees Fahrenheit for a good hour of the drive. Brrrrr... The drive from Nevada to California was so crowded I may have nightmares to process after the experience. But ahhh... sweet reward. SUN and WARMTH. (What am I doing living in Utah?)
Our first order of the day--family bike ride. We rode along the coast line for about a mile up to Huntington Beach where we then rode along the Santa Ana river (which looks like a viaduct as do most California rivers). We crossed some wonderful old rickety wood bridges into Fairview park in Costa Mesa where we found some great dirt trails that roamed around in circles (probably a couple of miles worth) all over the park/nature preserve. What a treat after sitting in the car for 14 hours!
We stopped and goofed off and enjoyed the view looking over the valley and out to the ocean, and decided we had better grab some lunch before we all passed out from hunger. Romney hung in there like a champ with his little legs and single geared tiny little bike for 11 miles. William inherited his father's biking gene and can outlast the energizer bunny when it comes to our family rides. I have decided biking is so much easier at sea level I should just stay here to exercise all winter, and well, Bill is Bill and I don't think even warmed up on our family ride.
After a wonderful lunch break, we hit the beach for some sun and sand action. The sun sets early here (before 5 p.m) and it was chilly after our late lunch. It didn't seem to deter our boys who stripped down to their suits and went into the freezing water to do their annual battle with the ocean. This year they battled both the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans on our coast to coast journey across the states. Not bad in a year.
After the beach and a post-beach warming up, we headed out to a sushi dinner with Anne (all 3 of my boys were such great sports for this!) and then to a California staple-- Trader Joe's for some groceries for the next few days. I think we are now set (and recovered from the drive) for a few more days of the same theme. It is like heaven to be outside without a coat, glove, hat, scarf and snow boots. I say this every year, but this time I just might act on it "I am NOT coming back until May!"

0 comments: