CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Election Season




It has been a busy couple of weeks around here. Bill was offered a chance at a new job he was very excited about, but decided not to take it. Timing was wrong with him being in school. I have been sick for 2 weeks (Does sick of the cold weather already count as an illness?) but still trying to keep up with all my obligations.

One of those obligations includes doing my civic duty and exercising my right to vote. Seeing as this is a presidential election year and that it is a heated race, I figured voter turn out (ie: lines at the polls on election day) would be high, also William was begging me to take him with me to vote so he could press the button to vote for his favorite presidential candidate (He has some VERY strong views on the matter. If you want to hear them, just ask.) Yesterday, I had a cram session reading my Voter Information booklet so I would know how I wanted to vote and since the kids have half days and then days off from school this week for Parent/Teacher/Kid conferences I took William and Romney with me to the County Offices to vote early. They were so excited. William cast my vote for president (We agree on our favorite candidate, you see.) and Romney cast my votes for all the judges. They both got stickers that said "I voted early" and they left proud and happy.


Elections have been on William's mind lately and he bravely ran for Student Council this year in his class against 10 other kids. He won by a mile his teacher said. He is taking his position very seriously (as he takes most things) and has big things planned for his school. He has been thinking about different systems of government and has decided that he likes the "voting for your leaders" plan much better than the "whoever has the most guns wins" plan. It is fun to see him becoming more world wise. (Not to be confused with street smart- that he still is not!)

7 comments:

princess jen said...

I'm glad you know who to vote for because I'm still at a loss. If I was smart, I'd vote early, but there's something about all the energy in the air on election day that I just love!

Lisa Romney said...

I am very, very proud of William. I was never brave enough to run for student government. It is also good to hear that he wants people to vote for their leaders... I might throw out an idea... license people to vote. Not an I.Q. test... they can be easy questions... but people must know some basic, truthful and pertinent information on the candidates... Alright, actually, the test I would make would be hard. People would need to know some political history, be able to recognize inconsistencies, and quite possibly have groomed themselves a little before showing up to cast their vote. Is that asking too much? And... tell William he is invited over for a political discussion anytime. I might vote early too. I read my packet a few days ago. There is only one matter that I'm still unsure on... the Zoo. Any arguments for or against funding?

Barbers4 said...

Last time the zoo was given money (via the tax payers vote) they decided to build a new entrance with the money before redoing any animal habitats.

Alan J said...

Lisa, i totally agree with you! Is that strange? Dumb, ok fine, "uninformed" and misinformed people should not be allowed to vote. I would so love to say more, but apparently i'm supposed to keep my opinions to myself or else i risk getting grounded from more blogs. I agree with Tara too (what is the world coming to?), the zoo just recently got money, and what did they do with it? If you could guarantee me that in the next 20 years (isn't that how long the bonds will be issued for?) they won't ask for money again, i'd be tempted to support it, but like that's likely. And while i suppose i'll support the aviary, i'm more of the opinion that if an entity can't support itself, then it just shouldn't be (and that includes banks and other financial institutions). Hopefully i haven't said enough to get grounded.

Lisa Romney said...

Insider tip... I have a friend who works for Mayor Peter Corroon. She said, "the zoo is fine." She also mentioned that she sat through both the Zoo and the Aviary presentations. The Aviary has a clear plan and a real need, while the zoo is just crying poor and didn't present a plan for using the bond.

I have FOUR other reasons for not voting for the zoo as well... 250 Fern Ave., 228 E. 500 S., 607 Ramona, and 2873 S. 2475 E.

I've made my decision on that one. Now I can go vote!

Alan - you got your wish on the no banks thing! Congratulations! As a taxpayer you are the proud owner of $750 Billion in bad mortgages! (Okay, actually, I don't know how much of the bailout was spent on the bad mortgages. Less than $750 b because I just read that bank executives are getting $70b of it in salaries/severances.) I've never been so happy to be a member of Zions Bank, where they "remember who keeps them in business" (that would be The Church, not us poor souls who can't pay our mortgages.)

Tara is going to ban me from her blog...

Barbers4 said...

No one is grounded. (Only because I agree, and voted along, with your opinions :).

Alan J said...

Bottom line, banks suck. Credit unions all the way. Instead of giving $750 billion to the financial sector (ie. sr. execs.) why not give every one in the country their share ($3000) of it and let them pay off (or at least a third or so) of their credit card debt. Which would be more effective use of the money? I'm not actually in favor of that, but i wasn't in favor of the flippin' "bail out" either.