CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Happy Campers/Workers


Everyone who knows me, knows that camping is not my favorite activity. This is no secret. However, when even the SUPER 8 hotel in Moab is over $100/night I have decided I can rough it! (The Super 8 was going to be "roughing" it for me!) An old dive hotel or a campsite are equally uncomfortable for me (much to Bill's surprise!). Now for the really strange part-- I actually had a wonderful time. We picked a tent only camp site along a stream with grass and flowers and a clean bathroom. The whole experience was not nearly as filthy as camping tends to be. Plus, we ate all our meals in restaurants so there was no outdoor cooking and cleaning (which for me is the worst.) It was pretty much just sleeping al fresco.

We took the kids out of school (something we never do) and made a long weekend of it. Anne was going to be in Moab on business (in Moab, who knew?) and that was just too close to pass up seeing her. She was working during the day, so we were able to get a great hike in Canyonlands National Park. We hiked up to the Landscape and Double O arches. I had so much fun taking photos along the way and enjoying so much time with all my boys. With Bill's semester in full swing again and William and Romney still in school, we get busy and haven't had enough time to just enjoy each other. It was great to be outside enjoying the sun and the amazing views.

But that was not the end of camping this weekend. (Just the end of camping for me!) William's class at school had it's camp-out on Saturday night. After a full day of soccer (3 games for 2 boys!) Bill took both the boys and headed north up Logan Canyon to hang out with some of our favorite OC families. All of William's best friends made the trip and both he and Romney had lots of fun playing outside with friends and having a giant camping sleepover. Between the games and the camping trip, Bill was able to go to lunch with all of his siblings. That was a rare treat to have both Anne and David in town at the same time. He got some good Barber time before he took off again.

I was the one who had the best time, though with Anne. We went out to a nice dinner at my favorite downtown restaurant and enjoyed having some adult chic time. We came back home and watched a great movie. It was nice to be an adult for a minute.

All in all a wonderful weekend.

5 comments:

princess jen said...

I'm glad you had such a fabulous time!! Moab is beautiful and hopefully not too hot. And I'm especially happy for you that you got grown-up girl bonding time!

Alan J said...

First off, i'm jealous. So which campground did you guys end up using? Which hikes did you do in Canyonlands? And most importantly, did Bill get any rides in (i won't be as jealous if he didn't get to ride)? Oh, and i want a job that takes me to Moab on business - now i'm even more jealous! When are you going to post some more of your cool Moab pics, i wanna see!

Barbers4 said...

We ended up staying at the UP THE CREEK campground. It was pricey for a campground, but well worth it (I think). We did the hike up to the double o and the landscape arches. (@ 2 miles-- great for little legs) You do want a job that you get to go to moab. She got to fly in a little cesna all over the parks and Moab as well as go ATVing on slick rock with a pro ATV driver. I was even jealous. You can see the photos anytime, but I don't have a cool photo blog like you where I can post them.

Lisa Romney said...

Tara is also a SUPER MOM with a SUPER BLOG and I'm glad I came for the visit. I was actually looking for William and Romney's Blogs!

Stylish, well written, loving... you better print all this and put it hard copy somewhere. One day your boys will want it and who knows when all this will be obsolete.

I'm going to need your help with party prep next week! The cake is going to be SO GOOD, as I've mentioned, and I finally decided on decorations.

Lisa Romney said...

PS: I want you to give me a housewarming gift of some abstract, brightly colored photos for my green bathroom. If we can decorate this week... that would make me happy. I'll buy the frames and prints, just help me pick and get me the files.