CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

First Snow


Last night it snowed for the first time this season. I am always filled with dread at the sight of the snow. Snow always signals the end of my favorite season (fall) and the beginning of my least favorite time of year (winter). I anticipate the seemingly endless winter months filled with gray, polluted air, and cheerless days without any sight of sunshine and I just want to crawl in my bed and hibernate until spring comes (which in Utah doesn't happen until late May or early June many years). However, looking at the fresh white stuff through the eyes of my children cheers me considerably. They don't see the first snow as a foreshadowing of bad roads, bad air and bad moods, they see opportunities. Opportunities to build in new ways, with snow and ice and sticks and rocks. They see snow forts and snow men and snow ball wars. They joyfully anticipate the approaching Holiday Season, of time off from school and presents and goodies and love and family togetherness and all the magic that is Christmas. They don't feel the crush and pressure of holiday shopping, decorating and preparing. I am trying to be like my children and see opportunities. I want to focus on service and love and family and ignore the fact that I may not see the sun for months on end and I will have to scrape ice and snow off my car! While winter and I have never gotten along, perhaps I can learn from my children the joys of each season and cycle and enjoy my time in the snow.

3 comments:

princess jen said...

Thanks for that uplifting post Tara. You are wonderful.

princess jen said...

BTW, I really like your new background!

Alan J said...

What a nice post! I don't usually mind winter - sure i don't like it as much as the other seasons, but there's still skiing and racquetball and so many of my favorite places are so beautiful in different ways with their white winter carpets -- i just need to get out to those places to enjoy them. But this year, i've just been dreading winter. Don't get to ride my motorcycle to work, don't get to go mountain biking, traveling is a pain and is much more dangerous, and like i said, i just don't get out to those places i want to get to. But i liked your post cause it reminded me that when i was younger i, too, loved winter and all its possibilites. Thanks.