CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

First Day (Aka: Where Did Our Summer Go?)

World's Fastest Summer has come and gone. I think. It went so fast, I can't be sure. I have the dozens of blog posts chronicling our 90 or so days of adventures to prove it, but still. . .
Another time warp, I have a 7th grader and a 3rd grader. When did that happen? How did that happen? As if to prove that we are all indeed getting older and time is passing, my birthday coincided with William's first day of school this year. But more on that later. First up to get back into the routine-- William. Not that as parents we can help ease the pain of returning to school, we do our lamest by offering to buy the boys a "first day of school shirt". We get away with just the shirt and not a whole outfit because we have boys. (My parents would never have been excused from the whole ensemble. All Esprit or Express or some other wonderful 80's brand name.) William chose a wonderfully geeky nintendo controller shirt. He paired it with maroon pants and purple Doc Martin's. Not a matchy, matchy kind of a fellow.


He did have to leave his beloved "hat" (the new one) at home and go bare headed, but it returned to his head the minute he walked in the door after surviving his first day. Report: He loves his new schedule because he has a good friend or two in every single class and twice a week in the afternoon he has back to back P.E. classes followed by orchestra. I do see him starting to tense up and be on edge more. I can't tell if it is school or just waking up early after not being able to fall asleep at night. After a carefree, drama-free summer, it is a little heartbreaking to watch.


Now onto ME! 38. "Not 40- yet" is what 38 feels like. I was putting my make-up on and joking with Romney that I was trying my best to still look 37. His response? "Yeah, good luck with that." Good thing I love that monkey. Also good thing he was joking back. Because messing with a woman who is currently being confronted with aging to a number that feels (at least on my insides) just WRONG is a dangerous proposition. I had a nice, relaxing day. Romney had a play date so Bill and I could go to lunch alone. I came home, had some of this beautiful vegan cake and hung out with Bill. After school was out, I enjoyed celebrating my birthday at the orthodontist's office and piano lessons. Actually, that was also enjoyable . More than I would have guessed. Alone time with William after his first day of school meant I got lots of details slow leaked unprovocated over the course of several hours. Trust me, even with a pretty communicative 12 year old boy, that is a treat!


Next up to lose his freedom, Romney. His first day of 3rd grade today. He rolled out of bed relatively easily for his first early morning and ate a yummy pancake breakfast. Obviously from the photo, he also chose his first day of school clothes. We were in the car bright and early to face the first day of school traffic that is somehow always shockingly horrible.


How does Romney feel about going to school? This face pretty much covers it. Arriving he was excited, he jumped out of the car and bounced into the school. We checked in with his (and my) beloved 1st/2nd grade teacher and checked out her newly remodeled classroom. Romney happily showed her his new Beatles notebook for his journal and his Yellow Submarine pencil case. Upstairs he did the same presentation of school goods to his new teacher (and old friend) and hung out in the classroom, looking progressively more nervous as the minutes wore on. He was fine until the first circle. He looked quiet and sullen even sitting by his buddies. I left after he raised his hand and actually volunteered to speak to answer a question. The boys are no longer free, but I am. Here is hoping they both settle into new routines and happy habits as they grow as learners and into young men.

0 comments: