Exag-
geration much? I couldn't think of a blog title for this post and we are spending the night in Reno and the day did seem like we packed a lot into our waking hours. . . Hence the blog post title.
First on our list today, seeing Uncle Tres. You know it has been too long and/or you have a dis-
functional family when you ask your 8 and 12 year old if they remember him, and both say "No". Then proceed to ask "Is he your brother or Dad's brother?" and they aren't kidding around. (He is my brother for the record.) Tres (a.k.a. to all his coworkers and friends as Dennis) works as a mechanic in a motocycle repair shop. It ranks right up there for "coolest workplace to visit when you are a kid" with "semi-truck driver" (He has also been one of those, and even took the boys on a ride in his rig once. That is how we helped them remember who he was.) Yup, the boys think that is pretty cool stuff. We got to see all the bikes he was working on and chat for a minute.
Romney had been hoping Uncle Tres would help him with his shop tools to crack open a geode he purchased in a gift shop somewhere (We have been to so many, I really and truly can't remember where!) and has been carrying around with him in a pocket (and losing) for days now. The two of them crunched it in a vice. The expected outcome there happened, but Romney was thrilled with it, so now I have to help him keep track of a million little geode pieces instead of one big ball. (Actually, I can't take it anymore and have officially made it his problem to own.)
I am not a motocycle chic, though during college I did have a romantic illusion of renting a Harley and seeing the country. I am more of a Vespa girl. I blame all the SKA music I love to listen to. Here I am imagining I have hit the open road, the wind is in my hair and I am going at least 40 MPH! Go girl!
What would a trip to a city be without one random roadside site stop? BORING! That's what it would be. No can do. I found an art instillation piece at the end of a small peninsula in a boating marina. It is a "wave organ" The water makes music through a series of pipes. The sound is best during high tide, at least that is what the sign read when we got there, but we had a tight schedule and just made due with what we got. It wasn't as magnificent as I thought sound wise (I blame the time of day we went. I will try again next time we are in San Fran).
Even if the sound wasn't at it's best, it was a pretty awesome sight with stone and concrete running here and there. The scenery is amazing around it as well with the best view we had of both the Golden Gate bridge and Alcatraz. Also the best crowds. Only one other family there. Even our resident local, Tres, had no idea what we were talking about when we told him where we were headed. I love discovering hidden treasures, off the beaten path.
Next find Yoda we did to learn the force we shall. Whatever. My Yoda is pathetic. Lucasfilms is based in the Presidio and we knew the boys would love the photo ops there. The kind security guard let us in when we told him our plan and gave us a parking pass (Yippee, parking is a bear everywhere in town and we had bikes on the back of our car.) I am sure he is most likely nice to everyone like that, but I like to think we are special. Another crowd-less venue. Seriously people, thank you for staying on the bus riding around town!
If Yoda is present you know the Dark Side is not far behind. We found this scary looking dude hanging out in the lobby. He was not happy to see me as you can tell. Seriously who puts a choke hold on their guests? How Rude! (Another SF reference, did you get it? Think Mary-Kate and Ashley.)
A few hundred miles of driving in Cali traffic and Viola! Reno. Nevada. I know, I know. But it is a $36 hotel room for the night in a 4 star hotel (Though I debate that rating having seen the room.) At first it was to shave a few hours off the driving before hitting it again tomorrow. But then we thought to ourselves "Selves, what idiots, who have never been to Lake Tahoe and aren't really ready to get home and do laundry, get this close and don't go on a hike or a bike ride?" and booked an extra night (More money, different hotel) so we could have a full day at Lake Tahoe. (Bill is busily planning a "real" mountain bike ride as I type.)
Not up for a hotel buffet (blech!), we hunted down some highly rated Medi-
terranean food and hoped for the best. We came pretty close. It was delicious and we were greeted and seated by the chef (who I was too chicken to take a real photo of and snuck one through the window as we were leaving. How lame is that?) His name is Maurice, his photo is on a billboard on the "Reno strip" and we recognized him immediately when we entered. He is pretty awesome and I might have a crush. (Did I mention he can cook. I have a thing for men who cook.)
And just when we thought we had seen all that Reno had to offer by driving through it for a few minutes, we discovered another treasure. An outdoor skating rink. Winter=ice-skating. Summer=roller-skating! We would not have noticed it if there weren't two dozen derby girls wrapping up practice on the slab of concrete. Always prepared Girl Scout that I am, I actually had my skates and strapped them on for a little after-dark, middle of Reno's "strip" roller-skating action. It has been that kind of a random day. I like random. (Not to be mistaken for a mess- I hate those.)
Thursday, August 4, 2011
Biggest Little Day in the World
Posted by
Barbers4
at
11:40 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment