CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Wake Up, It's 1984 (We've Been Here Before)

In 1984, I was younger than my eldest son--if that is not a sobering thought, I don't know what is. It is also the year that OMD released their first "big" single. By 1984, The English Beat had already morphed leaving a few members behind, into General Public. Two years into the future from 1984, the Trashcan Sinatras formed in Scotland. Sick of the Brit-Band Trivia section of this blog? Then join me on my journey back to my tween years when Boingo was big and so was my hair. I talked Bill into going with me to capture the spirit of my younger days by skankin' at the English Beat concert. Front row is way more fun when there is a strong, sexy man holding everyone off of your space so that you can dance as much as you want. I was even told how "cute" my boyfriend was at this show. The crowd made me feel simultaneously very young and very old. I knew I had to be younger than 50% of the populous, but that meant I was old enough to be in a crowd who knew who this band was.
4 days later, the headband (oh, yes, you know it!) was pulled out and strung across my forehead, Olivia Newton-John style and Bill and I hit up the OMD show. After our great English Beat experience, and the nature of the electronic OMD sound, we weren't really expecting much, but thought it might be fun. We were both blown away. The old dudes still can move equally as geeky as when they were much, much younger. Great show, great fun. I had forgotten how many hits that band actually had, and how many were the soundtrack to my early morning pre-junior high application of blue eyeshadow and hairspray.
Last and, perhaps, least--Trashcan Sinatras. Still to come on Tuesday. I hope this is another one of those happy surprises. Believe it or not, this show is more for Bill than for me. So, don sparkly (or stripy- I haven't decided and yes I have more than one pair) leg warmers I will, to sway to the music with the rest of the aging 80's music fans.

0 comments: