CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, December 25, 2010

I'm Dreaming of a Non-White Christmas

Dreams do come true, snow does melt and Christmas was "non-white" (in Utah that phrase is rare in so very many ways). I thought about apologizing to my fellow Utahns who were praying for snow, but then I remembered that my prayers for NO snow go unanswered 9 out of 10 times, and gosh-darn-it, it is my turn to "win" this year. (Insert the very mature tongue sticking out here).


Christmas with kids is magical, white or not! The boys slept well, but woke up excited and ready to go. They hit their stockings hard and had fun checking out their "big", unwrapped presents. (This is what other parents might call "Santa" presents). Romney was thrilled to get a sewing machine with a book on how to use it and a container full of fabric. He can't wait to make pillows and stuffies and all sorts of cuddly things. William had a note telling him where to find his present using both the german word for christmas tree and the directions "north-west part of the room". Yup, it took our directionally challenged son a couple of minutes to figure out where his big present was hiding. But. . .

it was so worth the hunt. Our 12 year old, technically savy tween was thrilled to see an ipod nano hanging in the tree. He was even more thrilled to find that Bill had loaded it with music for him. He spent the better part of the day with earbuds in-- breaking into random dancing and fits of singing. Loved it!




Romney and William enjoyed taking turns unwrapping Nerf guns, DS games, books, legos and --the piece de' resistance-- they each received a solar powered building kit. The kit builds 30 different contraptions that will all run either on battery or solar power. The boys spent all day building cars, tanks, tractors, planes and had a failed attempt at an elevator (still to come).


My Christmas was merry when I came out to see a set of my very own, shiny, new cross-country skis! Not only did I get the skis I was hoping for, I also caught a glance out of the corner of my eye of a jewelry store bag hanging on the tree. Bill spent many hours finding a place to buy me one diamond earring. Why one, you may be wondering? I lost just one of my precious 10 year anniversary earrings in a park in Park City a few weeks back taking a lovely winter walk with my handsome husband. The ear warmers I had been wearing must have rubbed the back of the earrings loose and it fell out, and I was devastated. They hold sentimental value and didn't want to replace the whole pair, so Bill found a store willing to match it and sell him just one. I can't tell by looking at them which is the new, vs. the original. Great job, honey! The boys always thoughtful get a shout out here as well! William made me a customized ear warmer/headband. He picked out purple sparkles because they matched my new coat, and placed them in the shape of the Wonder Woman crown (using an image from a comic book to help his get it just right). Now I can look like a sparkly Wonder Woman while trying to keep warm in this frozen tundra. Romney picked out a pair of glass earrings that have all of my favorite colors swirling in them and it matches my favorite sweater. Very thoughtful men, the three of them! I love being the only girl!

Bill's big present this year is a chance to fulfill a yearning of his. Woodworking classes. He has been saying he would like to learn for years --ever since we bought a home built over a hundred years ago with a porch in need of repair. I bought him a drill, a wood shop gift card and some Real Salt Lake gear to round him out.


Many of you have asked why our family has never participated in perpetuating the myth of Santa with our kids. This photo right here is why. Why should some fantastical fat man in a red suit be the recipient of this unsolicited, spontaneous display of gratitude?

1 comments:

princess jen said...

Merry Christmas!! Glad you all had such a fun day full of great gifts. Have a fun and safe trip.