When you have the most beautiful, magical place (Sorry, Disney, you loose!) a short 7 mile drive along the most dazzling scenic roadway, you don't waste time enjoying your comfy cabin. You get outside and see it as much as 48 hours will allow! Famous for a reason, the Lower Falls of Calf Creek were our first stop on our "must see while we are here" list. 6 miles (round-trip) of moderate hiking for a spectacular waterfall pay-off!
Loaded like camels with their water stored on their backs, our boys headed out like explorers in a new world. Romney felt inspired by the Native American spirits that haunt the area. That or else he saw an opportunity to wear his favorite sweatshirt and took it.
My boys have been taught the art of sun-worship-
ping. Not in the vulgar 70's tinfoil reflectors and Crisco sense of the word, nor in traditional ways of the ancient civilizations. Rather, in the way their mother worships the mass of incandescent gas--- acknowledging it's preciousness and soaking it in. Romney begs for chances on every hike to stop and lay on a rock just for a few moments taking in the golden rays.
However, quickly after soaking in the sunshine, he felt the need again to disappear under a skeleton's cloak, refusing to pose for any pictures without the disguise firmly zipped up. I did not complain, for I had seen his hair that day!
William did not have any facial coverings (other than the shade of his hat) to protect his likeness from being captured on my digital film. Perhaps they were connecting to other mystical civilizations that believe the soul will be captured with a photo if a picture of their human form is taken.
I share no such belief and want some kind of proof "I was there." Rare is the photo that contains my likeness, but every once in a while I sneak out from behind the protection of my "lens" and allow my soul to be captured. Proving that I do exist and that I was, indeed, present for the experience.
Our lovely destination was 2 hours in for only 3 miles of terrain covered. With stops for bouldering the red rocks, drawing in the sand, hunting for fish and wildlife along the path. The reward was breathtaking. A fairy-like oasis in the middle of a desert. A waterfall worthy of any rain forest. Complete with a rainbow colored backdrop and emerald pool of water. Travel gods accepting our sacrifice of our first morning/early-afternoon rewarding us with another magical apparition.
Sunday, November 14, 2010
Lower Falls of Calf Creek
Posted by
Barbers4
at
10:35 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment