I got to live the old adage tonight, you know the one about things changing, things being the same. I can't even begin to list the things that have changed in my life in the past 13 years. I mean, please, the hair alone. . .
But one thing remains the same. . . my love of Skankin'. Something that has changed: Wikipedia being available to help the uneducated figure out I am not talking about a promiscuous person but rather:
Skanking is a form of dancing practiced in the ska, ska punk, hardcore punk, reggae, grime, dub, dubstep and other music scenes.
The sad truth is that some of the wonderful (and I do mean wonderful, for ALL of the changes that have happened in my life have been positive for me) changes that have come into my world, have also hindered me from expressing that love at least 2 times a week like I used to when I was, shall we say, less fettered by others' needs.
In the past 13 years I have been to only a handful of concerts and dancing only once, but though the frequency has changed the passion has stayed the same. Cut to tonight: English Beat Concert. $17 concert tickets (1994 prices), a room full of sweaty, skankin' fools, a host of Vespas parked outside, a strange dude clearing the way up to the front of the crowd (stage side!), being one of the few sober in the crowd, and last but not least-- my love of sequins (see scarf). All things that stayed the same. So my life may have changed (forever and for the better), but I will always have a piece of that single girl who can dance her "@$$ off for 3 + hours without missing a beat. And that is really nice to know.
Addendum: Though it looks like I want to punch her lights out in the photo, I have the coolest sister(s) ever. Another thing that hasn't changed: Lisa looking cute with me looking goofy in a photo.
Wednesday, August 11, 2010
The More Things Change
Posted by
Barbers4
at
1:51 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
I miss dancing too :) I'm glad you could go and have a great time!!
Post a Comment