CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, April 4, 2008

Life's Work


I have been reading a book called LIFE'S WORK. It is really a collection of articles written by a New York Times Columnist about trying to balance working full-time with motherhood. I don't work outside the home and I have, of late, really been feeling de-valued by family, friends, and even myself for my choice to not work (for $). Am I smart enough to work outside the home? Do I even have any qualifications? What would I want to do that I am qualified for? Would anyone hire me? Would it make me more interesting to have a life outside of the walls of my home? What on earth would my resume look like? Would people take me seriously? Bill asked me the most important question: "Are you wanting this for yourself or because you want to impress other people?" Hmmm... hadn't thought about that question. A bit of both perhaps. Let's face it, it is nice to have people think you are an interesting, accomplished individual. The feminist in me wants to know that I COULD have it all, if I CHOSE to have it all. But then I got to thinking. Why do I need it all at the same time, no other generation of women in history has tried to manage as many of these rolls simultaneously as our own. I am not just sitting at home bidding my time until the kids leave and my "real life" begins. My real life is happening now. I have goals waiting to be accomplished as well as goals I have achieved. We all make choices in our lives about the direction we will go, if we all went the same way, how boring would life be.

3 comments:

princess jen said...

Bill posed a very interesting question. I had never considered that. There are times when the monotony really gets to me, when I feel completely unappreciated and miserable, when I feel lonely. And I wonder if the solution is to go back to work. But then I remember just how difficult it was to go back after maternity leave and how grateful I was to stay home. I remember how difficult it was to go back to work when Alan's schedule changed. I think I do have something of value to give. I think I am an interesting and accomplished person. I wish society gave more value to the SAHM/F and realized that we are contributing members of society.

Alan J said...

What the?! Who says you're not contributing members of society? My job definitely pales in comparison... well, maybe it doesn't "pale", per se - i mean, i am making the world safer through the elimination of weapons of mass destruction. But i think there's a blatantly obvious difference between children raised in a home, and children raised outside of the home. I'm grateful not only for a spouse who stays at home and raises and teaches (and much more) our children, but i'm grateful for others who do the same so that my children will have other well-rounded and balanced children to interact with. Thanks to all the moms!

Jill Tyrrell said...

Reading your blog and seeing all the pictures of you and your family are really making me miss you guys! I love reading the things you've written because you write like you speak...I love it! William and Romney look so grown up! Time is going by too fast! Well, here's to blogging!