CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Roger That (a.k.a. It's Fun to Stay at the YMCA)

Warning: This post and the two before it feature liberal usage of the word "camp". Camp is used to describe anything from a 4 hour rock climbing day camp to a 7 hour University of Utah day camp, to an overnight family excursion into the high desert, to the mother of all camps-- a week long parental abandonment of a 12 year old with 2 of his best friends in the Uintah mountains.
Camp seems to be the theme of our June. After a few weeks of checking in with William about his interest in partici-
pating in a week long camp with his two friends and being assured he was not, I got a phone call from William while he was away at a play date. The conversation went something like this "Um, Mom ("ummom" is the phone name given to me by William) I think I would like to go to Camp Roger after all." And with that started a 2 day frenzy of finagling him into the camp that had closed enrollment a week earlier.

I printed out 12 pages worth of forms and 12 pages worth of parent information and started the trek into paperwork, only to emerge victorious an hour later. After that I copied and printed insurance cards, made a bee-line to the pediatrician to beg them to waive their normal 24 hour policy of handing me a copy of his medical history and immunizations, drove to the YMCA office on the other side of town to beg them to allow him to attend this session and then waited 24 hours for the final answer from the camp director who was at a staff retreat the day I showed up (of course, right?)
William's happiness at being able to go to camp was contrasted by Romney's anguish at being left behind. Who will he play with and talk video games with and wrestle with and generally annoy and be annoyed by? Plus, it must be disappointing to be the younger brother sometimes, times when your older brother is allowed to do something you think sounds really fun, but your boring ol' parents don't think you are quite old enough for. Having been the oldest of 6, I can tell you it is equally frustrating to be the older person who blazed a trail the younger ones could follow years ahead age wise than the older one was allowed. But what little brother wants to hear that when they are leaving the bigger one at a super-fun camp in the mountains?
Not these two. Romney's adorable buddy is in the same boat, so we are planning a super-fun tent up in the room, microwave s'mores sleep over to heal some of their got-left-behind-blues. (I realize it isn't even close to the same thing, but it's all I got.) Maybe next year you two, until your parents remember that the cost doubles when two children attend and it is the same as one ticket to Europe. (Perhaps, the parents will realize how much they are saving by sending you to camp while they hop a plane to Europe. Things that make you go, hmm...)
Dropping off William was easier than I had anticipated. I thought I would feel much more emotional at leaving him in the care of strangers for a week. Seeing him choose his bunk next to his two great friends, unpack, and wear his Camp Roger t-shirt and name tag with such pride, eased the emotion on my end. Just knowing that these 3 boys are about to make lifelong memories together, cementing their friendship even further, and having more good, clean, fun than they might have in a year, packed into one wonderful week in the mountains made it bearable. Romney, however, put it all in perspective for me. I asked him if we should let William go to this camp or just keep him home because we would miss him too much he replied, "We should let him go, Mom. We need to let him grow up." Just not too quickly, please, William and Romney. Just not too quickly!

Addendum: We received this short, sweet and mildly hilarious (great oxymoron: "mildly hilarious") letter from camp today. 24 hours from his being released back into our care. Points of interest: He addressed the envelope himself and I am impressed he knew his zip-code. He called his bunk mate "Dude". Most importantly he is having fun!


Post Addendum Addendum: William LOVED camped. We picked up the happiest child on the planet, one who sings silly songs and does silly actions to go with them. One who writes the punch line for the cabin skit they put on for the entire camp. Highlights of the camp from William's perspective: Getting the "Respect" dog-tag award. Shooting the only bulls-eye from any camper in archery and winning points for his cabin. Learning how to patch a flat tire on a bike and mt. biking. Performing a skit and eating were also on the highlights list. Dodgeball and rainy day RISK playing round out his most favorite moments.

0 comments: