CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Just Hanging Out



One of the very best parts of summer is the ability to do what you want when you want. No set time to start or stop. Ahhh... Sweet Freedom! And that is just what we (and by we, I mean the three of us with no schedule. Poor Bill is still scheduled to the hilt!) have been spending these blissful two weeks doing. We wake up whenever we feel like it, have a leisurely breakfast, do our chores (even me) and then get some learning in and decide what to do for the rest of our day.



Of course, every once in a while things do pop up on our calendar that are scheduled. I think I win Momma of the week for driving William to his piano teacher's house in Provo for this weeks lesson. It turned out her other student and her Aunt, whose home we use in Sandy normally for his lessons, were both going out of town at the same time. William couldn't live with out a piano lesson (I know, not NORMAL!) so I drove for 2 hours (roundtrip) for a 30 minute lesson. See, Mom of the week.



Another calendar activity is soccer. It wouldn't be a week unless there was some kind of soccer going on around here. Both William and Romney wanted to do a fun league with their Shumway friends. The nice part is I convinced Bill he is REALLY too busy to coach and to let someone else handle it this time around. This means that we don't have to show up for every game and practice. The bad news is that William's team coach never showed up and so SUPER BILL to the rescue, he stepped up and helped organize that into somewhat of a team.



I have timed my library community passes so that I am eligible to get one right when school gets out. This lets us into the Children's Museum, Red Butte, the Utah Museum of Natural History, and the Utah Fine Arts Museum for free. (My favorite word!) Every Monday we have an outing to look forward to all together. We have been kidnapping Bill during his lunch break and he has even come on both so far. We hit one of our favorite places, Red Butte Garden. We checked out a learning backpack and hit the paths. The kids can run, explore and learn a lot about the local flora and fauna. I get a place to break out the (rusty) ol' camera and soak in the rays.



This week's outing was to the Utah Museum of Natural History. They have a great exhibit going on right now about DNA in honor of the professor who just won the Nobel Prize for his ongoing research in that area. We all learned so much about genetics and how we are made and what makes us unique, and heaven knows the 4 of us are nothing if not unique.
If you felt a little tremor on Monday, fear not, it was only William jumping up and down trying to get an earthquake to register on the sizemograph.

4 comments:

princess jen said...

You are such an awesome mom! I need to be more on top of things like that. My kids played in the sprinkler today while I cleaned out the garage. I just feel good when they don't watch TV.

Alan J said...

Um, if you broke out the "rusty ole" camera in Red Butte then where are the pictures? And i want to get a free pass to those places, tell us how. Geesh! Free hogger.

Barbers4 said...

Remember Alan, I don't have a nifty web-site to post them to like you do. Plus they were almost all of my kids, do you really want to see that much of them? As for hoarding all the free stuff-- well I will give you my secret, but only because you don't use the same library branch as I do! :) The city library has two very cool programs. Each month they have 2 cards: One is called a community exploration pass (that's the one I talk about in the blog) the other one is called a Performing Arts pass and that is more varied. It will often include free passes (for 2-4 people, depends) to local plays, concerts, etc. VERY COOL! Each household can get one with a City Library Card every 6 months. Bill and I often build our dates around the second one. I know, we're cheap! Each branch of the city library has a certain number of both to give out and they are available on the first of the month. See, I don't hoard, I share!

princess jen said...

hmmm...we still have city library cards....